Child Support Modifications

Child Support Modifications

Child support is set in place to be paid to the custodial parent for the care of minor children. Child support payments are intended to cover the cost of food, clothing, and shelter, as well as any other needs not negotiated separately. If circumstances change and the child support award becomes insufficient or excessive, a parent has the right to seek a court-ordered modification. In these cases, the court considers factors such as job loss, substantial increase in income, and the needs of the child. The custodial parent is not required to provide an account of how the child support payments are spent. The amount of support received is not taxed as income by the recipient nor deductible by the parent making the payments.


The following are examples of situations where it may be necessary to modify a child support agreement:


• Either parent has an increase in their income due to a new job

• Either parent suffers job loss or an otherwise reduced income

• The parent paying support experiences additional financial obligations (such as child support ordered in a separate case) and failed to include this in the initial proceeding

• The parent paying support becomes disabled and incapable of earning income

• The child experiences additional financial needs related to education or activities

• The child requires significant uncovered medical treatment previously unaccounted for

• The child suffers an injury, illness or disability resulting in significant specialized needs

• The parents agree to a different time-sharing arrangement under the parenting plan, resulting in significantly increased or decreased time with the child

• Other financial changes in circumstances

As Parents experience a changein employment, or other changes in financial circumstances, or as the financial needs of children change over time, you may find it necessary to revisit child support orders to ensure support payments truly reflect the current needs and circumstances of both the parents and children. Whether you are seeking a modification of orders or your ex is seeking a modification that would adversely affect you, The Moore Law Firm of Griffin, Georgia is here to help. Contact our office today to set up a consultation. Our phone number is (770)584-0911. A representative is eagerly awaiting your call.