Contempt Cases

In Georgia family law cases, contempt typically arises when one party refuses or otherwise fails to abide by the terms of a court-approved settlement, divorce decree, or other court order. Contempt orders can be issued with regard to child custody, child support issues, or any failure to comply with court orders. Regardless of  the logistics surrounding your divorce case, you will need to follow the terms and conditions in the decree unless you have put in a stay pending appeal. You could be faced with a motion of contempt when one party has:

• violated parenting time arrangements,

• failed to pay child support or is not paying the full amount,

• failed to pay alimony or is not paying the full amount,

• withheld property from the court, or

• moved out of state with a child without court permission.

Violating a court order means you could be subject to consequences such as hefty fines, payment of fees, transfer of property, and possible prison time. However, before this happens, the following requirements must be met:


• the court must have jurisdiction,

• the party filing a contempt motion must show that their ex-spouse did not comply with a court order or follow the requirements of the divorce decree, and

• the accused must be given an opportunity to be present at a hearing at which time s/he will be given the chance to explain the reasons for failure to comply.


In situations where you are subject to being held in contempt, The Moore Law Firm is here to help.  On the other hand, if your spouse is intentionally violating court orders, presenting them with a motion of contempt may also be the answer. At The Moore Law Firm LLC, you will be backed by 25 years of combined legal experience dealing with the enforcement of court orders in matrimonial and family court proceedings. Our office is located 410 E. Taylor Street, Suite M. Griffin, Georgia 30224